Friday, November 23, 2007

Parking Tickets


I had to appeal a parking ticket that was incorrectly issued to me on Sunday Morning!!! You can see poor Lydia (my car) with her ticket on her window. I live in Edinburgh and the traffic wardens work for a private company that are contracted by Edinburgh District Council. They have a reputation for not caring and putting tickets out hoping that people will not appeal them and then they rake in the easy money! In the past people have received tickets while getting their parking ticket from the vend machines, an ambulance has been ticketed, a police car and even a hearse!!!! Charming! They wear blue uniforms and are known as, 'Blue Meanies'. Well. That is the polite name - more of an alliteration goes on with them.

To be fair, I have had mixed experiences with them - some of them have been very nice and helpful, especially in 1999 (when they started) when I was wrongly issued a ticket for being on a yellow for 5 minutes (you are allowed 10). I checked with a Warden and he marked the time so I was less than happy when I return to see a second Warden writing me a ticket. Luckily the first Warden appeared and he confirmed the time leaving the second Warden hanging and speechless - his paperwork and his problem. Good guy and a bad guy. Good guy won the day for me.

Anyway, I got a ticket for something that had no signage therefore another Warden I asked said it should not have been issued - seems like some of these people put out tickets and hope they will not be challenged. I challenged today and expect it to be cancelled. If not then I may be happy to go to court over it. Brave words! We shall wait and see if the cancel or if I bottle it.

2 comments:

Neil Herron said...

and if you have a problem ... and they do not cancel that ticket ... www.parkingappeals.co.uk may well provide a solution.

All the secrets and top tips the council would rather you didn't know ;-)

Cagedanimals said...

Ahha, I have searched all the way back through your blog to find dear Lydia. She is a fine vee-hick-cal. I'm sure you'll get a babyseat in there if you cross your fingers